wildmats (was: Re: ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 10 09:05:30 PDT 2000

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> I'm in favor of generalizing comma support; it's supported in enough
>> different places and not in others that trying to maintain that
>> situation doesn't strike me as a good idea.

> I would be happy with that. Are we allowed to do it (I remain confused
> as to what changes we are and aren't allowed to make) ?

It's *somewhat* borderline, but I'm comfortable with making this change
because some currently deployed NNTP commands already support commas, so
there's existing practice and existing implementation experience.  We're
just cleaning up the wart of not knowing whether a given command supports
comma-separated wildmats.