ietf-nntp Response codes - debugging, authentication & unknown

Lee Kindness lkindness at csl.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 07:35:06 PDT 2000

Charles Lindsey writes:
 > Lee Kindness <lkindness at csl.co.uk> writes:
 > >       The exact response codes that can be returned in response to a
 > >       given command are detailed in the description of the keyword
 > >!      that is the first part of the command. If a client receives
 > >!      an unexpected response code from a command then it MUST make
 >                                                            ^^^^
 > 							   SHOULD
 > >!      a 'best guess' on how to treat the response - typically the
 > >!      first digit is used for this purpose.

I agree that SHOULD is more suitable given the vague
description. However I feel that this should be a mandatory
requirement. Hopefully the new draft (this morning) has better
wording:

   The exact response codes that can be returned in response to a
   given command are detailed in the description of the keyword
   that is the first part of the command. If a client receives
   an unexpected response code from a command then it MUST use
   the first digit of the response to determine the result. For
   example 2xx would be a successful response, 4xx and 5xx
   unsuccessful.

 Lee Kindness             lkindness at csl.co.uk
 Software Engineer        +44 (0)131 5575595
 Concept Systems Ltd.     http://www.csl.co.uk/