ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 8 10:57:39 PDT 2000

Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

> What commands, if any, will require a space-separated list of wildmats?
> Certainly not NEWNEWS. If it is just PAT, can we have an explanation of
> what is _supposed_ to happen? It would be simpler to do away with such
> space-separated lists unless there is a clear example that needs them.

Again, note that PAT as currently implemented (with XPAT) is *not* a
space-separated list of separate wildmats.  The spaces are taken to be
part of the pattern.

> No, that does not work. I believe the PAT command is a total mess, but I
> cannot suggest alternative texts for it, because I have not the
> slightest clue as to what it is supposed to do. So does that mean I am
> not allowed to raise it?

I think it means that I (or someone else who knows how it works in
practice now) am supposed to explain it to you clearly enough that you can
offer replacement text.  I'm happy to try to do that; what questions do
you have?