ietf-nntp DEBUG command x9x (was: 9xx)

Chin Chee-Kai cheekai at SoftML.net
Mon Aug 7 02:23:25 PDT 2000

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 23:21:08 +0100, "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> wrote,
>> Chin Chee-Kai said:
>> > Given a choice, I'll still go for the "-" continuation method
>> > as this has been done, deployed and used extensively.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it's not compatible with current practice.
>>
>>     [C] MODE READER
>>     [S] 200-hello sailor
>>
>> is perfectly valid and complete, as is:
>>     [C] LIST
>>     [S] 215-here it comes
>>     [S] 260-world.misc 123 125 y
>>     [S] .
>>
>> where 260-world is a private hierarchy.

If the examples above are sent to a "-"-knowledgeable client,
they will hang the client, as the "-" method requires the 4th
character of the last line of a multi-line protocol response
to be space.

Why did you say "it's not compatible with current practice"?
There's no current practice for the multi-line protocol response.
The "-" method is used only for protocol response, not data response.

So a "-" -knowledgeable server would send:
	[C]: MODE READER
	[S]: 200 Ok, posting is permitted
and
	[C]: LIST