ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Aug 5 15:05:35 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber said:
> Based on this and other comment from you, then I would take it that you are in
> the group that says that X9X should never be presented by a server under normal
> circumstances.

I would agree with that.

> The question is still open (unless I missed it) on what a client should do
> should a server present these results and that server is understood to be in
> "normal circumstances" mode by the client. Should the client ignore these

It should either:
(1) decide that the server is broken and give up on it;
(2) use the first digit to make an intelligent guess.

I see no difference between a 291 response and a 246 response here; what
would you do if you saw the latter ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037