ietf-nntp DEBUG command x9x (was: 9xx)

Brian Kantor brian at UCSD.Edu
Fri Aug 4 08:33:50 PDT 2000

>> Given a choice, I'll still go for the "-" continuation method
>> as this has been done, deployed and used extensively.
>
>NNTP already does have a multiline response mechanism
>that's usable; it's not as flexible as the method used by FTP and SMTP,
>but that in and of itself I don't think is sufficient justification to
>introduce a new method.

Probably you're right, I wouldn't add it now, but I think we'd have put
it in at the time if we'd thought about it.  There is some justification
for having extended responses to commands that are separate from blocks
of text sent in response to a command.  Almost a control vs data thing.
Ah well, live and learn.

	- Brian