ietf-nntp DEBUG command x9x (was: 9xx)

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Wed Aug 2 14:25:58 PDT 2000

Andrew Gierth wrote:

>  Peter> Does anyone know of a server that produces RFC 977 debug codes?
>
> no
>
>  Peter> If so, does anyone know how a variety of clients react when
>  Peter> presented with them?
>
> I would expect that most currently deployed clients would do something
> Horribly Wrong (irrespective of what anyone happens to think is "right").
> Clients have a hard enough time getting the basics right....

That's one of the reasons to get this clarified in the RFC977bis document.

>  Peter> With this information, perhaps some text explaining only the
>  Peter> current practice can be produced & then we work off that?
>
> there _is no current practice_ - which makes the whole thing somewhat
> pointless

Andrew,

I don't agree. The whole thing is not pointless. It is pointless to try to use
current practice as a guide if there is no current practice. To me, that's an
opportunity to figure out how things should work and codify that. That's what we
need to do in this case.

I proposed a DEBUG command. Folks don't like that. There has been some
alternative text that clarifies what should happen when these codes appear.
That's a reasonable alternative. However, not handling the problem at all is not
a reasonable approach.

--
Stan   | PGP Key ID: 55CB6421     | Opinions expressed are only mine.
Olan   | Phone: +1-713-793-0222   | Email: sob at academ.com
Barber | Fax:   +1-713-793-0221   | http://www.academ.com/~sob