ietf-nntp NNTP AUTH draft update

Jim Calvin jcalvin at ll.mit.edu
Thu Nov 18 09:43:19 PST 1999

>I'd like to get constructive comments on this issue -- I'm relatively
>agnostic about the solution.  It's easy to say a draft is wrong, but that's
>worthless.  If you want to comment, please say how to fix the draft.
>
>I can't say I'm particularly fond of "LIST EXTENSIONS" having side-effects
>from a protocol design standpoint.  But backwards compatibility regularly
>compromises good design.
>
>The only suggestions I've heard are:

<snip>

Why not something a bit more straightforward. Like:

[C] MODE 977BIS (or READER xxx, or whatever, to describe this rev of
the spec compliance)

[S] 20x 977bis compliant client acknowledged

Compliant clients would then get 45x codes as expected while clients
not issuing such a mode command would see the old 48x codes as
expected.

This also allows compliant clients to more easily negotiate old vs.
new servers.

Jim