ietf-nntp Comments on the November draft

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 22:09:56 PST 1999

 >> (Collapsing sequences of space characters causes problems.)

 Charles> Why?

Because existing servers don't do it, and it turns out to be a
nuisance if the overview data is inconsistent for the same article on
different servers.

Whether this is an argument for restoring the status quo ante (where
TAB, CR, LF are replaced one-to-one by spaces) I don't know. (The
archive of this list does not appear to document any reasons behind
the decision.) I don't feel that strongly about it, provided that the
straightforward case of a one-line header with no funny characters is
handled cleanly (i.e.  the overview must match the text in the article
exactly).

--
Andrew.