ietf-nntp Comments on the November draft

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 12:05:52 PST 1999

 Clive> Ned Freed said:

[I haven't seen that via the list yet.]

 >> I have no problem and in fact am in favor of imposing such a
 >> requirement, as long as the installed base of NNTP servers
 >> actually supports pipelining at present. The reason RFC 1854
 >> exists is that a significant fraction of SMTP server software
 >> actually doesn't support pipelining, so it has to be done as an
 >> optional extension.

 Clive> Understood. We need to hear from the implementors. However,
 Clive> from observation, Turnpike pipelines heavily so I suspect it
 Clive> probably does work.

My experience is also that it works, other than with the MODE READER
command (I've tested a pipelined client of my own against a number of
different implementations, though not in a particularly systematic
fashion).

--
Andrew.