ietf-nntp Comments on the November draft

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Nov 10 11:12:14 PST 1999

Ned Freed said:
>> Can we add something about streaming/pipelining here ?

> I have no problem and in fact am in favor of imposing such a requirement, as
> long as the installed base of NNTP servers actually supports pipelining at
> present. The reason RFC 1854 exists is that a significant fraction of SMTP
> server software actually doesn't support pipelining, so it has to be done as an
> optional extension.

Understood. We need to hear from the implementors. However, from
observation, Turnpike pipelines heavily so I suspect it probably does
work.

Suitable wording might be:

    The client may issue a command before receiving the response to the
    previous one. The server must not flush TCP/IP buffers while the
    connection is open.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel: +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax: +44 20 8371 1037