ietf-nntp Notes from the NNTPEXT Meeting today at IETF 46

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Tue Nov 9 00:08:08 PST 1999

Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> To clarify my understanding, here is my comments;
>
> In article <38275BFA.2E0A14A3 at verio.net>,
>         "Stan O. Barber" <sob at verio.net> wrote;
>
> } Wildmat-- The new draft contains specific language that clarifies the use of the
> } exclamation point. It can only have special meaning as the first character of a
> } wildmat and in that context negates the meaning of the rest of the wildmat. No
> } one at the meeting had any objections to that usage.
>
> Does this mean all of subsequent wildmats patterns is negated?
> I.e. "!alt.*,junk" means to negate both alt.* and junk?

No. Just the one immediately following the the !. Any delimiter marks the end of
a wildmat. If this is unclear in the draft let me know.

> } Response Codes -- IHAVE
> }
> } The current draft contains an example where an article is presented to a server
> } and then the server generates a 435 error. The group decided to
> } change this to 437.
>
> Why decided so?

Because there was earlier comments from others indicating that there were some
implementation existing that use 437 in this manner. Since it is arbitary
anyway, we made a choice. We will not revisit it.

Stan   | Director of Technical Operations  | Work Email: sob at verio.net
Olan   | Phone: +1-713-793-0222    VERIO   | Personal Email: sob at academ.com
Barber | Fax:   +1-713-793-0221            | Opinions expressed are only mine.