ietf-nntp NNTP AUTH draft

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Sun Nov 7 18:13:36 PST 1999

Andrew,

ANY authentication in current NNTP implementation is a LOCAL extension,
not a standard one. We are specifying a STANDARD one. As such, it needs new
response codes.

Good server design should be able to accomodate both standard extensions and
local extensions. Good clients should be able to request both standard and local
extensions based on information it gets from the
server (using LIST EXTENSIONS, which is part of the new standard
extension process). If the client can't get this from the server, then
the server should be thought of as a RFC 977 server that MAY support
some well known, but non-the-less local extensions.

It's your choice as a server designer how you choose to support the legacy RFC
977 + well-known local extensions in the context of the new RFC977bis specs.