ietf-nntp new draft of the NNTP spec released

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 11:43:21 PDT 1999

In <ylzp0r1c4y.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>> Yes, but in our current draft the ',' notation is only allowed in the
>> NEWNEWS command, whereas it would we useful to have it in various of the
>> LIST commands. Does INN allow it in those places? I don't really mind
>> whether the ',' and the '!' are part of the wildmat syntax or not, so
>> long as they are allowed to be used somehow in all sensible cases.

>It doesn't look like it currently is, no.  I agree that changing this may
>be a good idea.  I'd rather see ',' allowed in more places than to change
>the semantics of '!'.

Then it looks like we need a syntax such as the following:

wildmat = [ "!" ] foobar *( "," [ "!" ] foobar )
foobar  = <all the stuff in the present wildmat before the '!' was added>

<foobar> also seems to be what was described in wildmat(3). The effect of
my syntax would be to allow ','s and '!'s in all the places where
<wildmat> is currently specified, and would be upwards compatible with
present INN practice.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5