ietf-nntp Re: INN 2.x-CURRENT against a Cyclone server...

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Mon Jan 25 22:44:57 PST 1999

rra at stanford.edu is not on the ietf-nntp-post list, so I am forwarding this.

-----Original Message-----

To: inn-workers at isc.org, ietf-nntp at academ.com
Subject: Re: INN 2.x-CURRENT against a Cyclone server...
From: Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>
Date: 25 Jan 1999 09:55:07 -0800

Brian Kantor <brian at karoshi.ucsd.edu> writes:

> I also question whether there is any great win in having multiple feeds
> open between peers.  Assuming that the programs at both ends are running
> at full disk system saturation, there should be no advantage.

I have several peers where the first saturation point reached in a feed is
network latency, not disk, and opening multiple connections provides a
noticeable increase in throughput (the feed doesn't keep up without
multiple channels and does keep up with them).

> An exception to this is when the receiving system has its articles
> distributed on different disk systems by newsgroup or group type, and
> the feed splits its sending in the same manner.  Because there is some
> probability that this will occur unintentionally in a pairing which has
> not been explicitly set up this way, multiple overlapping feed channels
> can show some improvement over a single channel, but not consistently.

I think it's somewhat unlikely that multiple channels defined as carrying
the exact same traffic (which is the case here) are going to see that
different of distribution across disk systems.