ietf-nntp Response from ARTICLE

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Sep 25 04:07:20 PDT 1998

Just had an interesting experience. My upstream runs INN 1.5.1 (compiled
around Dec 1996 apparently), and I use NEWNEWS to get a list of articles
in the groups of interest to me, and then call them down as required.

> 502 Permission denied
> nntpxfer: protocol error: got '502 Permission denied'

It was then explained to me that I did not have permission to read that
article, because it was in a group to which I didn't have access (I have
still no idea which group that might be).

At any rate, my reading of RFC 977, and of our latest draft, is that 502
is not allowed as a response from the ARTICLE command (and even if there
was a special response for Permission Denied, surely it should be of the
form 43x).

So is this a bug in INN 1.5.1? And if not, it seems our draft is in need
of amendment.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5