I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-base-06.txt

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Nov 6 04:01:08 PST 1998

In <199811031516.KAA18829 at ietf.org> Internet-Drafts at ietf.org writes:

>--NextPart

>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>This draft is a work item of the NNTP Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

>	Title		: Network News Transport Protocol
>	Author(s)	: S. Barber
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-nntpext-base-06.txt
>	Pages		: 36
>	Date		: 02-Nov-98

Well is was put up on the site on 2nd Nov, but the date of the draft is
August (i.e. it is the draft from before the last IETF meeting). What
gives?

So if does not include things decided at that meeting, or discussed since.
Specifically:

No negated wildmats (with '!' in them) (or alternatively, no negated
newsgroups in the NEWNEWS command - these currently work fine in INN and
should be mentioned in section 3 if they no longer belong).

In 9.1, "the server SHOULD allocate the next sequential number" and in
9.1.1.1 "reinstatement of the previous article, not a new article reusing
the number". These both conflict with the intention on the USEFOR group to
introduce a Replace command in addition to the present Supersedes. So it
would be better to adjust those sentences. It should cause no problem to
existing implementations.

In the ARTICLE command, and other places, we still need to decide the
return code (502 or otherwise) when the article is refused because the
client does not have authority to access it.

In the NEWNEWS command, I want to be able to say
	...news.admin,!news.admin.lists,...
Hopefully, allowing '!' in wildmats will fix this, but I should like to
see some wording.

And I am still unhappy that you have to ask specifically for the control
group to receive control articles, rather than having them sent if their
Newsgroups line includes one of the groups listed by the NEWNEWS command.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5