Comments: draft-ietf-nntpext-base-06-txt

Bill Godfrey bill at bacchae.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 13:17:31 PST 1998

It's looking good. Here's a few comments. Feel free to mail any responses
to me privately or (pref) to the mailing list.

This is probably a discussion I missed before I joined the WG, but I
noticed that there is no facility for user authentication given.

If this is done argument, could someone please mail me a quick outline of
what was decided? (Atdhvaannkcse!)

Bill, president of the nitpicking society.
--------------------
          7.1  Initial Connection

            The server must present a 201 greeting code if the client is
            not authorized to post articles using the POST keyword.

Should IHAVE be mentioned here? This commands can be abused (almost) as a
POST replacment.

          8.1.3 Error responses from extended servers

            must return code 400. Note that this is response code should
            ^^^^
Capitals?

          9.2.1 ARTICLE

            The message-id string returned is an identification string
            contained within angle brackets ("<" and ">"), which is

IIRC, the angle brackets are part of the message id.

                 240 article received ok
                 340 send article to be posted. End with <CR-LF>.<CR-LF>
                 440 posting not allowed
                 441 posting failed

"44x Posting not allowed in this specific newsgroup" ?

I'm taking the 440 response to be a reflection of the opening 201 response
"You can't use POST here."

          9.3.2 IHAVE

            between hosts. Normally it will not be used when the client is
            a personal news reading program. In particular, this function

Suggestion:
"It SHOULD NOT be used when the client is a personal news reading program" ?

          9.4.2 LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

            group. The second is the time when this group was created on
            this news server measured in seconds since January 1, 1970.

 midnight                                             ^

          11.3 NEWGROUPS

            The date is sent as 6 or 8 digits in the format [XX]YYMMDD,
            where XX is the first two digits of the year, YY is the last
            two digits of the year, MM is the two digits of the month
            (with leading zero, if appropriate), and DD is the day of the
            month (with leading zero, if appropriate). If the first two
            digits of the year are not specified, the year is to be taken
            from the current century if YY is smaller than or equal to the
            current year, otherwise the year is from the previous century.

Suggestion, words to the effect of...

The dat is sent as 8 digits in the format CCYYMMDD, where CCYY is the year
in 4 digits, MM is the two digits of the the month (with leading zero
if appropiate) and DD is the day of the month (with leading zero if
appropiate).

If a six digit year is given by old or non-compliant software, the date
MUST be taken as above, but with the century is assumed to be the current
century, if YY is smaller than or equal to the current year, otherwise
the year us from the previous century.