ietf-nntp Selective download of MIME multipart/alternative in NNTP

Jacob Palme jpalme at dsv.su.se
Thu May 28 11:56:29 PDT 1998

At 19.48 +0200 98-05-28, Stan Barber wrote:
> It can't already be done, but I am sure it could be done as an extension.
> If you or someone who is interested could write up a draft, we can certainly
> consider it.

Perhaps like this?

The ALTERNATIVES command

ALTERNATIVES

   ALTERNATIVES: 1#<type>/"no"
   where <type> is a Content-Type, without parameters, as defined
   in MIME (RFC 2045).

   This command specifies that if an article uses the MIME
   multipart/alternative format, and if one of the alternatives
   is a content-type listed in the ALTERNATIVES command, then
   articles are to be downloaded by replacing the body of all
   body parts except the preferred content-type by an empty body.

   The command will have effect during an NNTP sesion until a
   new ALTERNATIVES command is given. The "ALTERNATIVES: no"
   command variant cancels the effect of a previous ALTERNATIVES
   command. If several of the alternatives in a MIME multipart/
   alternative matches a content-type in the ALTERNATIVES command,
   the content-type listed first in the ALTERNATIVES command
   has precedence.

   2xx OK
   500 command not recognized
   501 command syntax error
   502 access restriction or permission denied
   503 program fault - command not performed