ietf-nntp Merge Newman's Authinfo draft into Main Draft?

Chris Newman Chris.Newman at INNOSOFT.COM
Wed May 27 07:43:11 PDT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Chris Lewis wrote:
> I agree.  INN and NNTP 1.5.12 and Netscape also have GENERIC.  I know that
> INN and 1.5.12 are compatible with each other but are slightly different
> with both the original proposed spec (as per sob's modifications to
> return codes) and Microsoft (as per the base64 stuff affecting the stuff
> that's _in_ the server as opposed to what's in the authenticator).  I really
> don't care which precise generic spec we use, just that it's codified as one of
> the existing practises, and _in_ the spec, and then let the vendors fix their
> instantiations to be consistent.

If someone will send complete protocol transcripts of both successful and
failed authentications against these servers, I will do my best to get the
NNTP auth spec as close to existing practice as is reasonable.

I did "AUTHINFO GENERIC" and "AUTHINFO SASL" in the preliminary spec as
two separate commands to make the differences between them clear.  If
there is rough concensus, I'd be glad to delete "AUTHINFO GENERIC"
completely and rename "AUTHINFO SASL" to "AUTHINFO GENERIC" (which is
probably close to what Microsoft is doing).

I'd like to hear specific proposals for changes to the preliminary NNTP
auth spec.

		- Chris