ietf-nntp Merge Newman's Authinfo draft into Main Draft?

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue May 26 02:07:09 PDT 1998

In <Pine.OSF.3.96.980525195123.278A-100000 at worf.netins.net> Jonathan Grobe <grobe at worf.netins.net> writes:

>Given that there were no comments whatsoever on Chris Newman's
>Authinfo draft which was posted almost two weeks ago, it would appear
>that there is consensus on Authinfo. With a consensus on Authinfo, it
>would seem reasonable to merge his document back into the main draft.

My only reservations are:

1. Chris proposed AUTHINFO SASL
We already have AUTHINFO PASSWORD (is that what it is called?)
Is there really any need to keep AUTHOINFO GENERIC for any spare protocols
that may happen. Better surely to define them as extension if/when they
arise?

2. Has Chris' text been shown to Microsoft? Since they appear to be the
only ones to have actually implemented it, we may as well be sure we have
got it right.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5