ietf-nntp RFC977bis w.r.t. authentication

Larry Osterman (Exchange) larryo at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Thu May 7 11:42:25 PDT 1998

Remember - I'm an individual, as we all are.  This means that I speak for
myself, and not for Microsoft.

I can state what both of the Microsoft servers do, that behavior is
reflected in the text I sent the other day.  I can't speak for what Netscape
does, since I've not actually observed their protocol exchanges (BHERN, care
to comment?), however I suspect that they do something similar.  The
Microsoft clients and servers both encapsulate the authentication traffic by
Base64 encoding the data and transmitting it over NNTP - which is correct
within the terms of SASL.

And there are several SASL authentication mechanisms that are NOT self
representing, and thus MUST be encapsulated in a higher level protocol.  For
example, the DIGEST authentication package that's currently being proposed
for WEBDAV is not self contained, neither is the NTLM or DPA authentication
mechanisms.  These are all authentication mechanisms that are intended to be
encapsulated in a higher level protocol.

I don't see why it is such a big deal to require that the NNTP protocol
describe how to transfer authentication data....

Larry Osterman
Sent from larryo-laptop.dns.microsoft.com running NT5 and Outlook 98 and
Exchange Server 5.5.  Please notify the sender of any difficulties