ietf-nntp RFC977bis w.r.t. authentication

Larry Osterman (Exchange) larryo at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Thu May 7 09:57:10 PDT 1998

There are 2 major problems with this idea.

The first (technical) is that TCP/IP is a stream oriented protocol.  This
means that every message sent is subject to IP fragmentation, thus every
packet needs to have enough information contained within it to allow for
re-assembly on the receiving end.  Many of the existing security protocols
do not have sufficient information in their packets to allow re-assembly on
the receiving end, so in effect the security information is "tunneled"
through the higher level protocol - in other words, it uses the higher level
protocol to carry the security information.

And that brings me to the second problem, and this one is a total
show-stopper as far as I'm concerned.  Assuming that the security logic
"takes over" the NNTP connection is about as egregious a layering violation
as I've ever seen.  And layering violations are a VERY bad thing.

BTW: Why didn't your message have a To: header? It made replying to this
MUCH harder.

Larry Osterman
Sent from larryo-laptop.dns.microsoft.com running NT5 and Outlook 98 and
Exchange Server 5.5.  Please notify the sender of any difficulties