ietf-nntp RFC977bis w.r.t. authentication

Brian Kantor brian at karoshi.ucsd.edu
Tue May 5 14:49:37 PDT 1998

So is the IESG requiring people to add authentication to protocols
which don't have any?

NNTP didn't, and for the majority of installations, still doesn't use any.
Most NNTP sites use the DNS for authorization, and don't really care who
is accessing them as long as they're in the right domain or netblock.

My claim is that AUTHINFO is a non-standard addition to the protocol,
since each of the various implementations does it differently.

I still think that NNTP Authentication is better left to a separate document.
That can be standardised when there is some concensus achieved.

I'll shut up now.
	- Brian