ietf-nntp RFC977bis w.r.t. authentication

Chris Lewis Chris.Lewis.clewis at nt.com
Tue May 5 13:03:26 PDT 1998

Nat Ballou (Exchange) wrote:

> > This is precisely why it was decided to move this out of the main
> document.
> > It's going to take time to get these bits right. Other than these bits,
> > there is little else that folks are expressing concerned about in the
> current
> > draft.
>
> On this issue, I believe the consensus is that it's worth the wait.
> BTW, there are implementations - server and client - doing AUTHINFO GENERIC
> today.  If Chris or you would like more info on how this works, give me
> a shout and I'll gladly help out.

It's not necessary - I was the one who invented AUTHINFO GENERIC (with
a little nudge from Rich $alz), implemented it for INN,
NNTP 1.5.12, trn, tin and even xrn, and provided the docs for Stan ;-)

Is Microsoft's server doing it now?

> I'm all for following SASL to the
> letter on this one - but let's avoid arbitrary differences that break
> existing practice ...

I need to read up more on SASL to find out where the compatibilities are.
If there are any...