ietf-nntp RFC977bis w.r.t. authentication

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Tue May 5 09:05:03 PDT 1998

> On this issue, I believe the consensus is that it's worth the wait.
> BTW, there are implementations - server and client - doing AUTHINFO GENERIC
> today.  If Chris or you would like more info on how this works, give me
> a shout and I'll gladly help out.  I'm all for following SASL to the
> letter on this one - but let's avoid arbitrary differences that break
> existing practice ...

There may be consensus here, but what about the group that showed up at IETF?

I think waiting a bit is fine. However, I expect the next draft released
before IETF-42 to either not have AUTHINFO in it (as discussed at the
IETF-41 meeting), or to have a fully realized and acceptable resolution
to the AUTHINFO problem that will pass muster with IESG.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: mcsun!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.