ietf-nntp RFC977bis w.r.t. authentication

Nat Ballou (Exchange) natba at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Tue May 5 08:58:08 PDT 1998

> This is precisely why it was decided to move this out of the main
document.
> It's going to take time to get these bits right. Other than these bits,
> there is little else that folks are expressing concerned about in the
current
> draft.

On this issue, I believe the consensus is that it's worth the wait.
BTW, there are implementations - server and client - doing AUTHINFO GENERIC
today.  If Chris or you would like more info on how this works, give me
a shout and I'll gladly help out.  I'm all for following SASL to the
letter on this one - but let's avoid arbitrary differences that break
existing practice ...

Nat "How hard can it be ... :-)" Ballou