ietf-nntp Is there going to be an NNTP standard?

Jonathan Grobe grobe at worf.netins.net
Mon May 4 09:16:20 PDT 1998

1. The only references to distribution in RFC1036 refer to the
Distribution header. [other than the comment "the distribution of
this memo is unlimited].

2. From RFC977:

3.8.1.  NEWNEWS

   NEWNEWS newsgroups date time [GMT] [<distribution>]
   The optional parameter "distributions" is a list of distribution
   groups, enclosed in angle brackets.  If specified, the distribution
   portion of an article's newsgroup (e.g, 'net' in 'net.wombat') will
   be examined for a match with the distribution categories listed, and
   only those articles which have at least one newsgroup belonging to
   the list of distributions will be listed.  If more than one
   distribution group is to be supplied, they must be separated by
   commas within the angle brackets.

So from your language it appears to me that you are referring to the
Distribution header. Yet from the language of RFC977 ('net' in
'net.wombat') this appears to me to be referring to hierarchy.

So I request you add some language clarifying it.

In regards to my lack of comments on the draft: I think the draft is
excellent. I think it is time to finish up so people can present
extensions.

Jonathan Grobe.