ietf-nntp IETF 41 summary -- Comments Welcome

Chris Lewis Chris.Lewis.clewis at nt.com
Mon May 4 07:32:58 PDT 1998

Stan Barber wrote:

> >From the summary I wrote:
> > During the discussion about the "rfc977bis" draft, there was a
> > lengthy discussion about excluding the AUTHINFO command from this
> > document and doing it in a separate extensions document. This was
> > proposed as a tactical move to help get the "rfc977bis" document
> > wrapped up and publishable. There was some concern there would be
> > problems with this since it would mean that the base protocol would
> > not include any form of authentication/identification command.
> > However, other folks noted that the original NNTP spec didn't have
> > this and most folks don't depend on these features. So, AUTHINFO
> > will be removed from this draft and put into an extensions document
> > of its own. There was a volunteer to create this new document.
> > Unfortunately, I didn't capture the name of that individual.
>
> Would that individual identify themselves? I apologize in advance for
> not getting this down.
>
> [Of course, in identifying yourself, you are going to be expected to produce
> the draft:0)]

It wasn't me - I was hoping it simply was going to stay in.

I was unaware that there was any significant problem with the AUTHINFO
command that would lead to its removal.  I realize that the spec is
missing any specific instantiations of what the embedded AUTHINFO GENERIC
protocol looks like, but I don't think that should prevent it.  What would
be needed to fix _that_ problem?