NEWGROUPS (was: ietf-nntp editorial comments on base-04)

Maurizio Codogno mau at beatles.cselt.it
Tue Mar 31 17:20:09 PST 1998

% Maurizio Codogno wrote:
% >
% > Sect. 12.3, NEWGROUPS. I agree that clients MUST use 4-digit year
% > representation, but anyway we should say what to do if the client is not
% > conformant. My personal wording should be as follows:
% >
% > - if the first two digits of the year are not specified, the year is to be
% > taken from the past, unless the year is the  current.
%
% In the case of 2-digit years, we should act as in RFC977 and assume
% closest century.

But we are not talking about the date of a message, but rather about the
date we want to get new groups from, which is a different thing altogether.

I admit that there is no problem in setting [-50y,+50y] or [-99y,+1y] as
the date slice, but somehow I feel the latter makes more sense.

ciao, .mau.