draft-ietf-nntpext-base-03.txt some comments

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Fri Jan 16 15:58:56 PST 1998

> Not a great idea, IMHO -- that's likely to add an extra round trip to the
> usual startup procedure:
>
> S: greeting
> C: ask for capabilities
> S: return capabilities
> C: ask for authentication mechanisms
> S: return authentication mechanisms
> C: begin authentication
> S: ...
>
> I think it's much better to fold the authentication list into the general
> capabilities list as is proposed for SMTP:
> 	draft-myers-smtp-auth-09.txt
>
> I'm attaching my proposed changes to this message.
>
> 		- Chris

It may reasonable to add authentication capabilities to the general listing
of extensions available via the extensions mechanism already outlined in the
current draft. One possibility is to rework all the authinfo stuff as being
an extension and have all that listed as part of the response to a LIST
EXTENSIONS commands.

I am looking at draft draft-ietf-ftpext-feat-02.txt as a potential template
for how LIST EXTENSIONS will work.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.