draft-ietf-nntpext-base-03.txt some comments

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Thu Jan 15 07:35:51 PST 1998

> >9.1.2 AUTHINFO GENERIC
> >  AUTHINFO GENERIC authenticator arguments...
> >
> >  AUTHINFO GENERIC is used to identify a specific entity to the
> >  server using arbitrary authentication or identification
> >  protocols. The desired protocol is indicated by the
> >  authenticator parameter, and any number of parameters can be
> >  passed to the authenticator.
> >
> >  When authorization is required, the server will send a 450
> >  response requesting authorization from the client.
> >
> >  The client should enter AUTHINFO GENERIC followed by the
> >  authenticator name and the arguments if any.  The
> >  authenticator and arguments must not contain the sequence
> >  "..".
>
> What is the reason for this, rather odd, restriction?

Chris Lewis will have to comment on this.

> >  The server will attempt to engage the server end
> >  authenticator; similarly, the client should engage the client
> >  end authenticator.  The server end authenticator will then
> >  initiate authentication using the NNTP sockets (if appropriate
> >  for that authentication protocol), using the protocol
> >  specified by the authenticator name.  These authentication
> >  protocols are not included in this document, but are similar
> >  in structure to those referenced in RFC 1731[7] for the IMAP-4
> >  protocol.
> >

> Saying "similar in structure" rather unsatifactory.  Can we not reference the
> actual protocols?  Are they SASL protocols (RFC2222) ?

Chris Lewis will have to comment on this.

> >  If the server returns 501, this means that the authenticator
> >  invocation was syntactically incorrect, or that AUTHINFO
> >  GENERIC is not supported.  The client should retry using the
> >  AUTHINFO GENERIC command.
>
> This last sentence be "The client should retry using the AUTHINFO USER and PASS
> commands".

Okey.

> [snip]
>
> >14. Augmented BNF[10] Syntax for NNTP Commands
> >
> >This syntax defines the non-terminal "command". The non-terminal
> >"parameter" is used for command parameters whose syntax is
> >specified elsewhere. The syntax is in alphabetical order. Note
> >that ABNF strings are case insensitive.
> >
> >  article-command = "ARTICLE" [1*WSP (msg-id / article-number)]
> >     *WSP CRLF
> >  article-number = 1*16DIGIT
> >  augument = parameter ; excluding sequence ".."
> >  authenticator = parameter ; excluding sequence ".."
> >  authinfo-generic-command = "AUTHINFO" 1*WSP "GENERIC" 1*WSP
> >  authenticator *(1*WSP argument) *WSP CRLF
> >  authinfo-pass-command = "AUTHINFO" 1*WSP "PASS" 1*WSP password
> >     *WSP CRLF
> >  authinfo-user-command = "AUTHINFO" 1*WSP "USER" 1*WSP sername
> >     *WSP CRLF
> >  body-command = "BODY" [1*WSP (msg-id / article-number)] *WSP
> >     CRLL
>
>       ^^^^
>       CRLF

Okey.

> [snip]
>
> >  wildmat = 1*("*" / "?" / wildmat-exact / wildmat-set / "\"
> >     %x21-FF)
> >  wildmat-exact = %x21-29 / %x2B-3E / %x40-5A / %x5D-FF
> >     ; exclude space * ? [ \
> >  wildmat-non-hyphen = %x21-2C / %x2E-FF ; exclude space -
> >  wildmat-set = "[" ["^"] ["]" / "-"]
> >     *(wildmat-non-hyphen ["-" wildmat-non-hyphen])
> >     ["-"] "]"
>

> When I originally proposed and submitted the ABNF syntax for inclusion in the
> draft the wildmat was defined in terms of single octet characters, now that
> wildmat uses UTF-8 the syntax needs modification.
>

>   UTF-8-non-ascii = %xC0-FF 1*(%x80-BF) ; UTF-8 encoding of non-ASCII character
>
>   wildmat = 1*("*" / "?" / wildmat-exact / wildmat-set /
>      "\" (%x21-7F / UTF-8-non-ascii))
>
>   wildmat-exact = %x21-29 / %x2B-3E / %x40-5A / %x5D-7F / UTF-8-non-ascii
>      ; exclude space * ? [ \
>
>   wildmat-non-hyphen = %x21-2C / %x2E-7F / UTF-8-non-ascii ; exclude space -
>
>   wildmat-set = "[" ["^"] ["]" / "-"] *(wildmat-non-hyphen ["-"
>      wildmat-non-hyphen]) ["-"] "]"
>

> I have allowed any character to be escaped by a backslash, is this correct?
> The text in 5. suggests that only [ * \ ? may be escaped.

In the original wildmat, this was true. However with UTF-8, it may be necessary
to extend the escape capability. Anyone have comments here?
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.