ietf-nntp draft-codogno-mime-nntp8bit-00.txt

Maurizio Codogno mau at beatles.cselt.it
Tue Aug 11 03:14:44 PDT 1998

Dear nntpext and usefor people,

In June I suggested in usefor to define a more efficient way to send
binary files via Usenet News - after all, NNTP is defined on a
8bit channel, and the only characters not allowed in the body of
a message are NUL and bare CR and LF.

Eventually I prepared a draft, which has been issued with the name
draft-codogno-mime-nntp8bit-00.txt, which defines a new MIME type,
application/nntp8bit.  I am already told that I chose the
wrong path: such an extension cannot be a new type, but rather a
Content-Transfer-Encoding. This means that after Chicago I'll have
to rewrite the draft...

May I however ask any people interested in the idea to read the current
draft anyway and to send me suggestions? I'll be in Chicago, by the way.

ciao, .mau.