ietf-nntp Notes from the IETF41 meeting

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Fri Apr 3 15:05:29 PST 1998

I'm acutally working on a draft which attempts to address some of these
issues. It's a specification for a set of extensions that provide a feed
negotiation mechansim between servers.

It's not quite ready for submission yet, but I thought I'd mention it in
this context in order to spur some open discussion. I talked with Brian
Court about how much dynafeed and my work overlap and the general
thought was that while he was trying to address only transient changes
in a feed, I was aiming at more permanent modifications so they were
really different things.

It looks something like:

S1: <connect>
S2: 200 news.foo.com brand-X-news/1.0 NNTP ready
S1: LIST EXTENSION
S2: 215 Extensions supported by this server
      SEARCH
      LISTSUBSCR
      DFEED
      .
S1: FEEDLIST news.moof.com
S2: XXX Feed configuration for news.moof.com
    SENDGROUPS comp.*,rec.*,alt.*
    DONTSENDGROUPS comp.lang*,alt.gerbils.*
    SENDFREQ 15m
    STATUS active
    .
S1: FEEDMOD news.moof.com DONTSENDGROUPS alt.gerbils.*,alt.hamsters.*
S2: XXX OK feed configuration changed
S1: FEEDMOD news.moof.com SENDFREQ 1m
S2: XXX you are not allowed to make that change
S1: FEEDLIST news.moof.com
S2: XXX Feed configuration for news.moof.com
    SENDGROUPS comp.*,rec.*,alt.*
    DONTSENDGROUPS alt.gerbils.*,alt.hamsters.*
    SENDFREQ 15m
    STATUS active
    .
S1: QUIT