ietf-nntp Mention port 433 in draft?

News Master news at ednet.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 05:40:56 PDT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Stan Barber wrote:

> I just checked with IANA's list of port numbers and there is nothing in
> that list that indicates that port 433 has anything to do with news or
> NNTP. Here is exactly what is listed.

RFC1700 has a contact name for NNSP: Rob Robertson. The email address
given is @berkeley.edu but he is now working @wired.com. I was in
touch with him in June regarding this; here are his comments:

[begin quote]
> pretty much, just that, strip all the newsreading stuff out of NNTP,
> add the streaming transfer commands, and run the server off of port
> 433.
[end quote]

To this end, I have been using 433 internally for news transit for some
time, and found newsreading much more responsive with INN not having to
bother forking. As a result, I'm effectively running two different
protocols on two different ports: the NNSP subset with CHECK/TAKETHIS for
transit, and the NNRP subset with XOVER/ARTICLE et al for reading.

Sometimes I've wondered if the standard could be better served by
formally splitting it into two "subprotocols" such as these.

--
edNET News Administration                             Edinburgh's local ISP:
Newsmaster: Joshua Goodall <joshua at ednet.co.uk>       http://www.ednet.co.uk/