ietf-nntp Feedback on the 9/3 nntpext.

Brian Kantor brian at karoshi.ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 4 15:39:52 PDT 1997

I don't believe a minimum timeout is required nor needs to be specified.
Timing out client connections is a management decision made by server
managers, based on their perception of need in their environment.

Clients which hold a connection open by sending 'NOOP' or other techniques
in the absence of real transactions would appear to be doing so solely
to circumvent the server manager's desire to time out idle clients.

In my local version of nnrpd, I treat NOOP as QUIT.
	- Brian