ietf-nntp Feedback on the 9/3 nntpext.

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Thu Sep 4 10:12:34 PDT 1997

Here is some feedback on the 9/3 draft:

4.
        o The miminum timeout is required to be 10 minutes. I don't
think the RFC should specify a required minimum.

4.1
        o This section specifies that clients SHOULD use numeric codes
from server responses. Do folks think that SHOULD should be changed
MUST? I'd rather not leave this one ambigious as it could cause big
problems.

10.1
        o This section specifies that the server should use the "first
unused number" for arriving articles. We may want to clairfy this to say
"next sequential unused number".

        o What is 0 as an art number used for? Since we mention it in
the doc, I'd sure like to know why.

10.4.1
        o Can we get more detail on the format allowed for the last
field in LIST [ACTIVE] results (<status>). What is allowed, what is not,
etc?

10.4.9
        o We need to include more detail on how to know the format of
the additional OVER result fields. Since we mention that additional
field can be added on the end, we should mention how the client should
knhey are (I'm assuming LIST OVERVIEW.FMT here). Maybe require that
implementations using extra field support LIST OVERVIEW.FMT.

12.1
        o Can CHARSET be used to allow variance in the response text?
--

--brian