ietf-nntp xover tabs and newlines

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 02:49:03 PDT 1997

Simon Lyall <simon at darkmere.gen.nz> wrote:

>Crossposted to usefor...

>On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Brian Hernacki wrote:
>> Eric Cole wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > What is the appropriate behavior to deal with headers containing tabs
>> > and/or newlines when responding to an xover command.
>>
>> This is the right place to talk about the results of XOVER (OVER) and
>> their format. The 1036/message-format list would be appropriate for
>> discussion a general "problem" with news article headers containing tabs
>> and newlines.

>Which begs the question as to actually covers the format of what is
>returned by and xover command..

>What do people in the usefor list think on this issue?

I don't think this is an issue for usenet-format. It is for nntp, or
wherever else the NOV stuff is defined.

My answer would be, I think, that all extraneous white space and
non-meaningful comments, line folding, etc should be removed from headers
before they are copied into an overview file. So any TABs would either
disappear, or become single spaces.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing-------------------------
Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk   Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl