ietf-nntp "Common NNTP Extensions" document updated

Jeff Garzik jeff.garzik at spinne.com
Sat Nov 29 20:38:21 PST 1997

Brian Kantor wrote:
> Since I too won't be at the meeting, I would just like to make the
> point that it is possible (in fact, rather easy) to implement
> 'newnews' quite efficiently, and that the laziness of programmers
> in implementing it is insufficient reason to deprecate the command.
>
> If there is good reason for "newnews" to go away, it should, but
> poor implementation in existing software is NOT a good reason.

I agree.  In this case, I think poor implementation under INN was merely
a catalyst.

The first issue is a NEWNEWS warning.  Since the current state of
affairs is such that NEWNEWS is no longer widely support, that should be
mentioned in any RFC that derives from 977 (whichever draft is
applicable).

The second issue is NEWNEWS deprecation.  Programmatically, yes, it's
easy to implement, but with the NNTP extensions proposed and in use, the
same functionality is already present.  Deprecating NEWNEWS would merely
remove redundancy.
--
Jeff Garzik			    Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
Spinne USENET News Service	        Fast and efficient news feeds