ietf-nntp xover tabs and newlines

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Mon Nov 10 21:14:05 PST 1997

> Amazingly enough Stan Barber said:
> > > I believe newsoverviewfmt(5) stated that all newlines and tabs are removed
> > > from the fields.
> >
> > Is newsoverviewfmt(5) from Geoff's original documentation? My original
>
> Well, I grabbed ftp://ftp.std.com/src/news/nov.dist.tar.gz. I can't tell if
> it's his "original" document, it is his reference implementation.
>
> In newsoverview(3), dated 16 Dec 92, it states:
>                             If a_others is a non-empty string, it
>        will consist of complete headers  (keyword,  colon,  value
>        and  all)  with  any newlines and tabs turned into spaces,
>        and separated by tabs.
>
> In newsoverview(5), dated 21 Oct 92, it states:
>                     Fields are separated by tabs, and any tabs or
>        newlines  in  the  original  articles  headers  have  been
>        replaced  with  spaces.
>

> Is anything earlier than this available?

I don't know. I just didn't recall any man page called newsoverviewfmt(5)
in the original documentation. In any case, it does show that the
white space replaces the tabs and the newlines, so the best practices draft
reflect that.

That does not address what the nntpext-base document should say about
changing this. Should the output be the same in the nntpext-base document?
Someone suggested that doing some sort of escape sequence might be better.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.