Comments on draft-ietf-nntpext-base-02.txt

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Mon Nov 10 14:22:24 PST 1997

Charles Lindsey wrote:
> 2. We are under pressure from the Scandinavians (so far, but I expect the
> Japanese are not far behind) to allow non-Ascii characters in newsgroup
> names. One option is to let them be in iso-8859-1 by default
> (effectively, that would allow any of the iso-8859-x). But that does not
> give us the rest of Unicode. A more likely possibility is to let them be
> in UTF-8 by default. Note that, with both these possibilities, all
> existing usage (newsgroup names in ascii) will continue to work without
> hindrance, since Ascii is a proper subset of both options.

We've talked about defining UTF-8 as the charset for 977bis. I'd rather
see people just agree around one charset (and UTF-8 gets the most votes)
than try for negotitation, etc. I've been proposing that we drop the
CHARSET command and just say "UTF-8".

Based on your comments below it looks like you missed out on some of
this dicussion. I hope (Stan?) it will be in the next
soon-to-be-released revision.

--brian
Opinions are mine, not Netscape's