ietf-nntp Re: nntp-extensions Re: draft-ballou-nntpsrch-03.txt

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Fri May 30 11:43:25 PDT 1997

Nat Ballou wrote:

> Kenneth,
>
> I have removed the 421 response code and use an
> empty response.  This new draft will be posted
> when I gather up a few more revisions.
>
> I would like to get others comments on your XOVER
> suggestion - what do others on the mailing list
> think about this suggestion?

I prefer the empty return scheme. More for consistancy sake than
anything else. I imagine client will need to write additional protocol
handling code for search anyways so I don't think either is a real clear
techincal win.

Elf Sternberg wrote:
> I'm also concerned about the response of a SEARCH OVER command.
> Since some articles could have enormous cross-postings it might be
> preferable just to return the Message-ID.  The newsgroup is just meta-
> information about the article, not a unique key to it, after all.

The overview also contains the MID is the client wants to access it by
that, but then they lose the group context.

--brian