ietf-nntp Newsgroups - Geographic Directories, E-mail/WWW Gateways

Steven Clift clift at freenet.msp.mn.us
Mon Jun 30 10:53:54 PDT 1997

Greetings,

I just discovered the archive for ietf-nntp.  From a news group
hierarchy non-technical developers perspective (gov., future mncc)
what you are doing seems important.

I wanted to ask your advice about the second part of my enclosed
message on "Making the Internet a Communities Network".  Basically I
am working with folks in Minnesota to build an interactive grid for
community conferencing - using the tools of the global Internet to
create "digital crossroads" for people, potential down to the block
club level to communicate.  I want to make this part of the Internet,
not just some specialized, unsustainable WWW conference.  It seems
that news with well designed e-mail and WWW gateways (to allow people
to choose their preferred interaction technology - leaving the
different cultures that seem to emerge base on the technological
implementations) could provide the necessary platform.

I'd like to hear (privately is fine, if this is out of the scope of
this list) your reaction to my concepts below and any nuggets of
truth about how the next generation of nntp will make community
conferencing with geography and mulitple interfaces a reality.

Thanks,
Steven Clift
clift at freenet.msp.mn.us
http://freenet.msp.mn.us/people/clift
Democracies Online
Co-Editor G7 Government Online and Democracy White Paper