ietf-nntp Are We meeting at IETF 39?

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Jul 11 02:39:11 PDT 1997

    Date:        Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:37:00 -0700
    From:        bhern at netscape.com (Brian Hernacki)

  | I've mailed Erik a few times about getting any notes taken published
  | but  I've never gotten any replies (to those or other messages).

I'm not surprised that no notes have been made available, essentially nothing
worth making a note of occurred...

But, in case this is useful to anyone, here are the notes I took at the WG
meeting in Memphis (most certainly just rough notes, and definitely not
minutes).   Apologies for getting people's names wrong, or for not knowing
them in the first place...

kre

Mon April 7, 13:00 Galaxie Room

NNTP Extensions  Erik Fair

About 20 people, Keith More, Elliot Lear, uSoft, Netscape.

Editor has been busy, chair also problems, nothing
much has been done...

Issues:  Must do 977bis first
Message-ID max length - need to say something, and need to
define what happens when any max length is exceeded.

Authinfo discussion, draft should have eliminated
authinfo simple, replaced by generic, hasn't happened yet.

Discussion of extensions mechanism, and how much has been done,
and needs to be done for first step.   Should "LIST" be used
for listing extensions, or is this overloading too much into
something that (or maybe I'm lost, not everyone seems to
be talking about the same thing).  Q as to whether different
info should be returned can change depending upon user.
Al current LIST types are info about newsgroups (more or less)
this new one is to be info that is unrelated to newsgroups.
Is this being too complicated?

No consensus.

Q: where do we go from here?   A: no real answer - back to mailing
list.  Also need to talk to ADs about status of the group.

www.clock.org is 140.174.97.8

Search - two drafts, uSoft & Netscape, working together to produce
a single one rather than competing.  Tool uSoft draft, added
Netscape LIST Search commands - search text, body, date (txt=hdrs+body).
Dropped all user property commands and message sets - basically
otherwise similar to IMAP search stuff.  Added search across
newsgroups (not in IMAP).   Hae two kinds of dates, date from
header (posted), and colon-date - date msg arrived from the server.
IMAP has received sent before (or something).  Date received on
server is kind of like newnews - useable only as search criteria.
Not yet certain whether this should be retained.
The ":" chosen because this can't occur in a header name, so
can still search individual headers, etc.

Search results look a bit like xover results, but grp:art instead
of just article number.

New draft will come in a week or two.   But don't want it to get in
the way of getting NNTPbis done.

Elliot: news machine at SGI - takes in about 6Gb a day, so 42Gb for
a week, and never want stuff to break, so mirror it, 84Gb of discs.
That's one filesys (made out of 4 Gb drives).   Uses about 8 controllers.
History file on its own filesys, a couple of Gb (6-8 probably).
(Really, keep news longer than a week, more like 2, so multiply...)
This is a fairly typical ISP setup.   Filesys on XFS.  Have just
one server - so do have some downtime (sched maint, and about 1
day a year unsched).   This is a read only host (news to sgi people).
News transfer host has ~20Gb.   chongo at sgi.com has full details.

Q: cyclone - transport only news system (used at Sprint?)  has
no active file, is active mandatory?

Led to distinction about whether transport & reader should be split.
(Again...)   Maybe should at least mark the verbs, etc, so reader
support, and transport can be seperately documented.

Meeting ended 13:45