ietf-nntp Newsgroup Name Length Question

Chris Lewis clewis at nortel.ca
Wed Jan 15 12:43:00 PST 1997

In message "Re: ietf-nntp Newsgroup Name Length Question",
'sob at academ.com' writes:

>Ken writes:
>> Defining a group name as a non-empty sequence of characters not
>> including control characters, white space, wildmat wildcards, commas,
>> and whatever I've forgotten should be fine.
>
>I like this. We'll need to define the "whatever I've forgotten" part, but
>this seems like a reasonable approach. For example, we need to deal with
>the RFC 1036 convention concerning ".all" as the last component of a group
>name. Is "news.all" the same as "news.*"?

The ".all" (as well as .ctl, and Subject CMSG hacks) are all obsolete,
and already deprecated in various software implementations.
--
Chris Lewis, Senior Network Security Analyst, Nortel.
clewis at nortel.ca; Dept 4C16, Ottawa, Canada.  (613) 763-2935.