ietf-nntp Newsgroup Name Length Question

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Tue Jan 14 19:09:16 PST 1997

Evan, no one including myself is saying that there is a standard in this area.
I was writing what I have observed over the life of USENET as being the
general practice for the core seven/eight hierarchies.

If we do have to define a standard in this area for the purpose of doing
RFC 977 bis, then we do need to come to some definition that does not break
group names in the core seven/eight hierarchies. I don't know if we have to
accomodate naming in alt, regionals or some of the other hierarchies.

Personally, I would rather the RFC1036 bis work deal with this.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.