ietf-nntp Backfill: not again.

Alan Barrett apb at iafrica.com
Sun Jan 12 12:57:53 PST 1997

I think that deciding whether backfill is permitted, and giving guidance
to server or client implementors (or site administrators) on how to
avoid or deal with backfill, are well within the scope of this group.
I am less sure about inventing something new to help servers (and site
administrators) avoid backfill; perhaps the most we could do in this
group would be to recommend that some other group designs a suitable
mechanism.

> If the volume of news gets too great for a single feed to a slave
> server, "tough luck"

Yes, that's one possible decision that this group could make.  If we do
so, it should be clearly documented.  (And I suspect that some sites
would ignore it, but that's their problem.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)