ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers - draft 3

Jon Ribbens jon at oaktree.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 08:58:28 PST 1997

Alan Barrett wrote:
> > You might want them to, but unfortunately they can't.
>
> I don't see why clients "can't" deal with out-of-order arrival.  A few
> days ago I explained how a client can easily deal with out-of-order
> arrival.

I was using "can't" present-tense. They could be made to, but
they can't at the moment. Since the vast majority of clients
can't cope with backfilling, if the new spec was to allow it
it would immediately render practically the entire installed
software base non-compliant. I would very much hope that
people would find this unacceptable ;-).

Cheers

Jon
____
\  //    Jon Ribbens    // 10MB virtual-hosted // www.oaktree.co.uk