ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers - draft 3

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Sat Jan 11 13:34:52 PST 1997

At 04:08 PM 1/11/97 -0500, Rich Salz wrote:
>XREPLIC was an experiment.  C News did replication by parsing the Xref
>header, so I decided to do "the other way" just becqause I like variety.
>And I didn't like requiring an Xref on non-cross-posted articles.  I was
>atually worried about diskspace, beieve it or not. :)
>
>As the author and initial implementor, I'd be happy to see XREPLIC considered
>non-standard and depracated.

Fair enough, but I think that there may be some interest, especially
from the people that want to do master/slave situations where we need
something fairly similar.

Any ideas on something similar?  And how do we get around the backfill
problem with parallel feeds to a single group?  We have to handle it
in some way that everyone likes. (My personal feeling is to restrict
the number of threads that can feed a newsgroup in this situation.)

regards,
Jack