ietf-nntp New wording on article numbers - draft 3

Jack De Winter jack at wildbear.on.ca
Fri Jan 10 10:47:52 PST 1997

>Let me see if I understand this correctly.  Are you saying that a
>collection of articles numbered, say, {12,13,14,15,16,17} at the master,
>could arrive at the slave in, say, the order {13,15,12,17,14,16} ?  But
>all earlier articles would arrive before this collection, and all later
>would arrive after -- so the out of order arrival is localised ?
>
>If so, could the slave not avoid exposing the out of order arrival ?
>That is, could the slave avoid serving an article (or its number) until
>all lower numbered articles have turned up ?  (Assuming you can
>guarantee that the articles will turn up, even if you cannot guarantee
>the order.)

um, I don't want to be the stick in the barrel, but are there any
circumstances where the above behaviour would actually manifest itself
in reality?  if so, could you give a good example, complete with
reasons at all of the points? (the hard point with doing pure
theoretics is that we don't always think of applications right off
the bat... sharing the applications can help make the theory a lot
easier)

regards,
Jack